Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Opening Night!

Hello, theater geeks! I personally enjoy reading and watching commentary on anything "theater."  So, I figured, if Seth Rudetsky can have a billion different shows and blogs, I can have at least one.  I'm not sure exactly how this blog will go, I just have a slight idea of what my focuses will be.  Each post will be about a different show or creative personnel that has caught my attention at that particular moment.  I figure, since this is my "opening post" I would focus this one on shows that are going to open soon on Broadway.

I will start with a positive, because that is just my nature.  Godspell.  Let's be honest, who doesn't love a little Godspell!?  I'm pretty excited for this revival.  The cast seems decent enough to pull it off.  We shall see in the coming weeks though.  It's crazy to think that the guy who composed this show also created the mega-monster-musical that is WICKED!!!  Stephen Schwartz is pretty darned talented and I do respect him as an artist, but based on his interview with Broadway.com recently, I lost a little respect for him. (Show People: Stephen Schwartz)  Not only does he look like a scrub, but he bashes the Broadway community.  First off, Stephen, you look like a gigolo with that open collar and gold chain.  Second, if you are going to wear a suit jacket and pants, perhaps you should rethink the sneakers.  You just look creepy.  So, yes, he was just being honest about his experience with the Broadway community, but I think he is just bitter.  What do you guys think?

On to the next one...Lysistrata Jones.

This concept does not appeal to me at all.  It is going to be a flop.  It seems like it will be Xanadu minus the roller skates plus basketballs.  I don't really know.  Maybe I am just being too cynical about this one, but it just looks stupid.

Last show I will bring up is the Evita revival!

I do not think any of you realize how long I have waited for this moment!  The moment I heard that it was being revived in New York, I just about passed out.  Now, since reading my dearest Patti LuPone's memoir, I have told myself to boycott Andrew Lloyd Webber.  And I am trying really hard, but his shit is just too damn good!  I love Patti, but I think she will understand for Evita!  Anyways, I've heard only good things about Elena Roger, who will play Eva, and I am quite excited to see what Ricky Martin will do on stage.  For me, this revival is highly anticipated.  Am I the only one?  I doubt it!

So in honor of one of my top 5 favorite musicals being revived I figured the song of this post would be "Buenos Aires" as sung by the fabulous Patti LuPone.


You will soon learn how obsessed I am with Patti.  It's pretty bad.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Another theatre blogger. :) There are so few of us out there...
    Welcome!

    ReplyDelete